If you ever thought going fully bare down there is a modern trend, think again. It turns out women have been putting themselves throughout the routine for a very long time. If you are feeling slightly nervous about your waxing appointment, please bare in mind you wont be the first or last wax that Angela does.
Before Your Wax:
- Let it grow - don't even think about booking an appointment until you've gone 1-2 weeks without shaving or wait and have at least 1/4 inch of hair. Patience is a virtue - waxing can be painful and not effective if you haven't waited long enough.
- Exfoliate - on the day of your appointment, exfoliate really well to loosen up dead skin and lift trapped hairs. Either with your favourite body scrub, or using a body glove, brush or loofah.
Professional unisex body waxing studio in Hazel Grove
Tips and Tricks for the best results
Silky smooth from top to toe using precise and consistent techniques.
The importance of making your wax treatments as quick and comfortable as possible.
For the next 12 - 24 hours it is important to avoid
- Heat services eg hot water, sauna, and steam
- Perfume products not to be applied on the area treated
- Touching the area
- Applying make-up to the area
- Sunbathing or sunbeams - your skin needs time to calm down and the sweat of the heat and the sun wont help.
To avoid in-growing hairs it is important to gently exfoliate the area after three days and twice weekly thereafter
- Soothe the burn use aloe immediately afterwards to calm any redness.
A final word of wisdom - do not shave in between waxes. If you need to get rid of a few hairs, grab the tweezers instead for a quick option.
FACTS AND TIPS
- Ingrown hairs form when a hair cannot 'escape' through the follicle wall. Occasionally this results in a pustule like bump that feels painful and looks irritated.
- In other instances, the hair will just find its way out naturally and fall out as its cycle finishes or it will disappear into the layers of the skin. If you find you have a nasty red or sore bump that may look to be festering, then my best advice is to gently exfoliate during a warm to hot bath or shower. Try not to break the skin around the follicle, and do not pick at it. If you are worried then please consult your doctor.
- Never shave in between waxing appointments. If you have to, make sure you do it no less than two weeks before your next waxing appointment to ensure best results.
Why is waxing more painful some times than others?
- When we are tired, run down and stressed, life in general can seem more 'painful'. This is no different when having your hair removed. Three days prior to menstruation, we are known to be more sensitive. Many people will actually schedule their intimate waxing appointments around this time.
- Male waxing is an industry in its own right too. Some sporty men find that when they wax their backs, they can develop a few spots, but with gentle exfoliation, and maintaining a regular waxing routine this will soon disappear.
- Exfoliate your sin the day before any waxing. Exfoliating should always be gentle and a prolonged session will make sure its thorough. Exfoliating your skin allows any hair that may be tucked under dead skin to be lifted and much easier to be removed.
- The less dead skin, the better the wax will work, therefore less pull and that equals less pain. Do maintain gentle exfoliating every second day post waxing to help to keep those ingrown hairs at bay.
- Hydrate your skin daily. Keeping your skin hydrated keeps it supple and therefore more likely to deter ingrown hairs and general skin irritations.
- Regular appointments make a whole lot of difference. Our hair grows at three different cycles, so every four weeks is ideal. I have a personal policy to maintain best results all year round for a happy client and a happy therapist - you either wax or you don't!
- Check your skin regulary. Do this to make sure you don't have any particular abrasions or bumps that could affect your skin during a wax. In particular, check your intimate areas and maintain a good standard of hygiene.
- Inform your technician of any medication you may be on that pertain to skin thinning or dryness. If you are on a strong medication, such as acne medication or topical creams, your sin is likely to be thinner and dryer than usual and this can cause skin lift which can result in an unsightly mark or burn as well as leave your skin open to infections.
- Wear loose clothing. Choose loose fitting clothes where possible after your waxing session to avoid excess friction, particularly after intimate waxing.
- Prepare to roll over. A good bikini wax should get rid of all unwanted hairs.
- Shave in between waxing appointments. If you absolutely have to, make sure to do it no less than two weeks before your next waxing appointment to ensure best results. Hair has to be 4mm in length to be waxed. Longer if you are still a new waxer as your roots are likely to be thicker and quite content in their root bubble.
- Sunbed for 24 hours before or after your hair removal session. Sunbedding makes your skin more sensitive and you run the risk of skin lift. Sunbedding straight after, you risk burring these areas.
- Work out or use a jacuzzi/sauna/steam room for 24 hours post treatment. Your follicles are wide open therefore more susceptible to bacterial infection. Exercising causes a lot of friction on the skin, which can also increase the chances of ingrown hairs.